Dr. Laura Nichols, Ph.D., C. Psych.
My demeanour, both personal and professional, is relaxed and warm which I boast is due to my east coast roots! I grew up in Nova Scotia and hold many east coast values close as they are an important part of who I am as a person and as a psychologist. I work collaboratively with you and together we will formulate a plan that will address the specific problem(s) you are experiencing. Change is possible.
I am a registered clinical psychologist with the College of Psychologists of Ontario. Primarily a cognitive behavioral therapist, I have received advanced training and supervision in cognitive behavioral therapy, mindfulness based cognitive therapy and interpersonal therapy and when indicated will integrate principles and strategies from these modalities.
Overall, I have several years experiences working in psychiatric and general hospitals, mental health centres, mood disorders programs, community mental health and addictions programs.
The clients I work with struggle with intrusive thoughts and compulsive behaviors, excessive worry, physical symptoms of anxiety and panic, extreme fears of being negatively judged, mood disorders including depression, bipolar disorder and postpartum depression and anxiety, trouble understanding moods and emotions, difficulty managing stress in the workplace or substance abuse.
To stay informed of the most recent findings pertaining to mental health and illness as well as state of the art psychological interventions I attend local, national and international workshops and conferences several times per year.
My own research findings have been published in top-tier peer-reviewed journals including The Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, European Eating Disorders Review and Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking and I have presented at dozens of national, international and world conference proceedings. I am ad-hoc reviewer for the Institute of Mental Health Research and for the Anxiety and Depression Association of America. I have taught extensively at the University of Ottawa, University of New Brunswick, St. Thomas University and Dalhousie University.
- Clinical Psychologist
- Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, University of New Brunswick, 2011
- Master of Education, Counselling, University of Maine, 1989
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Dalhousie University, 1983
Clinical Services for Adults, 18-65 yrs
- Bipolar Disorder
- Postpartum Anxiety, Depression & Adjustment
- Anxiety (panic, worrying)
- Health Anxiety
- Obsessive-compulsive Disorder
- Substance Abuse
- Work difficulties
- Behavioural problems
- ADHD Assessments
- The Canadian Psychological Association (CPA)
- The Association of Behavior and Cognitive Therapy (ABCT)
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA)
- The American Psychological Association (APA)
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies (ISTSS)
- Canadian Association of Behavior and Cognitive Therapy (CABCT)
- International Association of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (IAOCD)
- The Ontario Psychological Association (OPA)
- The Ottawa Academy of Psychology (OAP)
How to Reach Me:
Practice line: (613) 695-0900
Direct line: (613) 860-4144
- Hits: 1448