Ms. Valérie Marceau
I started my professional journey in social work in 1998 after obtaining a diploma in Québec city. The practice of social work is a passion for me, it defines who I am and makes me happy to go to work every day. I had the chance of starting my career as a Crisis Counselor in a Suicide Prevention Centre where I helped depressed individuals and their loved ones go through crisis. I also provided individual and group counseling to people bereaving the suicide of a loved one. This was a unique and very rewarding experience that I will never forget. I subsequently obtained a bachelor’s and a master's degree in Social Work to further my skills and bring my practice to another level. I had the privilege of serving my country for over 10 years as a Social Worker in the Canadian Armed Forces during which I served across the country and deployed in multiple locations (Cyprus, Afghanistan and Kuwait). I specialized in the treatment of Operational Stress Injuries towards the end of my military career. Although I do not wear the military uniform anymore, most of my practice is with active military personnel and veterans.
The therapeutic approaches I use are based on the difficulties and the objectives of the therapy as established collaboratively. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is utilized for the treatment of depression and anxiety. Prolonged Exposure or Cognitive Processing Therapy is used in trauma treatment. Depending on the needs, tools and techniques from other approaches might also be used: motivational interviewing, dialectical behavioral therapy or acceptance and commitment therapy. My approach is collaborative and follows your own pace.
- Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers OCSWSSW (# 812812)
- Ontario Association of Social Workers (# 22678)
- Maîtrise en service social, Université d'Ottawa, 2006
- Baccalauréat en service social, Université Laval, 2005
- Certificat en Études sur la violence, Université Laval, 2004
- Techniques en travail social, Cégep de Ste-Foy, 1998
Clinical services for adults 18-65
- Interpersonal relationships difficulties
- Operational stress injury, trauma, PTSD
- Work Related stress